Pages


May 16, 2011

Oohhhh-Ta-sssss!

 I love oats, they are like the fruit of the fields. You can bake with 'em, boil 'em, make oatmeal cookies, granola with oats, oatmeal, rolled oats, quick oats, sweet oats, savory oats, use 'em in meatballs...  Sorry Forrest Gump moment...

I've always thought maple and brown sugar when I think oatmeal. Mainly because that is what my mother always ate. Now I've discovered the AWESOMENESS that is Old Fashion Rolled Oats. If you cook them 2x as long with 2x the liquid you get a HUGE bowl of yum for a baseline of 150 calories.

I usually spike my oats with any fresh fruit I have around the house. One of my favorite oat-concoctions was oats, fresh pineapple, unsweetened coconut milk, and dash of almond extract! Anything goes into oatmeal and its so cheap and quick that if you don't like it just pitch it and start over!

For Lunch: Savory  White Cheddar Oats with Turkey, Caramelized Onions
 
  • 1/2 a medium onion
  • 1/8 cup pecans
  • 2-3 ounces chopped turkey
  • 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
  • 1/2 Old Fashioned Rolled Oats
  • 1 tbsp dry  white cheddar soup mix 
  • 1 tsp parsley





I am very very calorie conscious when I cook for myself and I'm always looking for new ways to cut fat out without cutting flavor. WHICH IS HARD! Because fat carried flavor! Fat absorbs salt and spices and sugar and keeps it on your tongue longer than its thinner water like cousins (broth, vinegar.. etc) (Its why light blue cheese will never taste good, sad but true!)One way to cut out fat is using non-stick pans and broth to caramelize onions instead of insane amounts of oil like most recipes would have you do.

I boil onions in a small amount of water and let them boil dry and caramelize slightly, add a few tablespoons of water and stir letting the onions unstick. Keep letting the onions burn and add water to unstick until you get the right amount of brown that you want.






Instead of water using broth, vinegar, wine, rum, etc gives the onions more flavor but it will also make them burn quicker so you'll need to watch more closely.
A shake of the Hooded- Moose or two makes salty caramelly onions. (Pepper doesn't have his hood up lol)

If I wasn't putting them in my oatmeal and they were headed to the top of a pizza or a sandwich I would add a spray or drizzle of the OO to give them more flavor.

I weigh everything if I'm counting calories. This is a few ounces of turkey breast that I'll chop and add to my onions and broth


















Just keep stirring, Just keep stirring, Just keep stirring, Just keep stirring, Just keep stirring,Just keep stirring, Just keep stirring,Just keep stirring, Just keep stirring,Just keep stirring, Just keep stirring.

No comments:

Post a Comment