Pages


August 15, 2012

That's how I roll!- Shrimp Spring Rolls

This is my combination of my favorite Vietnamese restaurant's spring rolls and the ones you would buy at a sushi counter. Not fried, lots of colorful veggies, shrimp (I hate imitation crab!) and served with hoisin sauce with chopped peanuts! 

 ** These are so good my allergic-to-avocado-brother coughed, gasped, and sputtered through a half dozen before taking a break to let his airways open again! HA HA!

Ingredients
A sharp mandoline is a $10 piece of heaven in this recipe!!
  • Rice wrappers
  • Romaine Lettuce
  • Shrimp
  • Carrots
  • Cucumber
  • Red Cabbage (or Napa if you prefer) 
  • Avocado
  • Cilantro
  • Bean Sprouts
  • Jalapeno (The big mean one in the picture is a cayenne)
  • Hoisin Sauce
Doing It
  1. Using a knife, mandoline, veggie peeler, etc... get all the veggies you are using into small strips or shaved slices.
  2. Cook shrimp (if needed and let cool) 
  3. Rehydrate rice wrapper by passing it under the faucet for 1-3 seconds a side then lay it on a plate or cutting board. It WILL soften up! You probably aren't going to listen and soak it or something but don't be silly! Or be silly... they are cheap so go ahead and experiment! 
  4. Lay a layer of lettuce, the spring roll is basically a bound together lettuce wrap!
  5. I lay my flattest stuff first, just small bits of each layering the shrimp and avocado last. 
  6. Roll the spring roll "subway sandwich style" Rolling one have over the spring roll, holding it tightly while you fold the sides in and then finish rolling until it is wrapped. 
  7. Let sit a few minutes then cut in half at a slight diagonal! 
  8. Serve with Hoisin! 
Notes
  • People go crazy for these! I like to pour the hoisin in a bowl and serve the rolls all around on a plate. (See first picture) I made them for my nieces 1st birthday (yeah my family rolls like that!) and people still talk about them! 
  • Practice Practice Practice!!!! No matter how many times I've done these my first one looks HORRIBLE! So I eat it right away!
  • Most of this recipes time is prep. Buying shredded veggies and already cooked shrimp cuts your time in half!
  • You can add or subtract anything you want!
  • Not my proudest examples but they look great after cutting!
  • The avocado gets a little squishy.. the first time I bit into one with extra avocado I got a little weirded out by the texture! 

No comments:

Post a Comment