Pages


August 1, 2012

Mish-Mash: To Many Limes!!!

  • So we had a bunch of vodka drinkers over (my people!) so I bought lots of limes, lemons, tonic and club soda, etc... NO ONE USED ANY LIMES!!!  
  • I needed a dessert for a FRG Potluck so I googled lime cookies... found LOTS of amazing recipes and couldn't decide between a shortbread with glaze, standard 'tollhouse base' with lime and basil, and a cornmeal cookie. COULDN'T DECIDE!!! So I mish mashed them!! 
  • Heaven resulted.  Great texture, no crunchy corn feel just more crumbly and soft at the same time! The basil isn't a huge part its just a refreshing hint of flavor that people probably won't be able to put their finger on! My favorite kind of flavor: SNEAKY!

Citrus-Basil Cornmeal Cookies

Cookie
1 1/2 c unbleached all-purpose flour
3/4 c cornmeal (I used Indian Head Stone Ground its pretty fine ground)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 sticks unsalted BUTTER (REAL BUTTER)
1 c sugar
2 tbsp lime zest (2-3 limes required!)
1 tbsp lemon zest
1 1/2 tbsp finely chopped fresh basil
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 large eggs (My eggs were fresh and really big so you might add an extra tbsp of egg to get exact results)
3 1/2 tbsp fresh lime juice

Glaze
3 cups powdered sugar
1 tablespoon lime zest
1/2 cup lemon/lime juice (whatever you scrape up)



Doing it:
  1. Wake up in the morning and set out our butter and eggs so they are room temp ;) or put them in your pocket :D
  2. Preheat oven to 350
  3. Whisk flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt 
  4. In a separate bowl (*cough* stand-mixer *cough cough*) Combine BUTTER and sugar. 5-8 minutes (Until "fluffy" but not in a "that dog is really fluffy kinda way... just til it changes texture!)
  5. Add zest, basil, vanilla, juice, eggs. Blend until just together.
  6. Pour in flour mixture in 3-4 segments
    waiting til blended 
  7. Scoop in 1in balls 2-3inch apart on parchment.
  8. With wet fingers or a spoon spread out the mixture slightly
  9. Bake 10-12 minutes until edges are just brown.
  10. Mix powdered sugar, zest and juice well.
  11. Spoon glaze on to cookies. I like a half a spoonful and then a quick smear with the back of the spoon so its more completely covered. And to avoid little wells of glaze! 
  12. Let sit 45-60 minutes to set glaze.  

Hints and such:
  • Most houses in Northern NY don't have AC. INCLUDING ME!!! So it was pretty warm in the house.. by the last batch my dough was weapy... I don't recommend it
  • Next time I make these I will probably use Almond Extract (Just because I love Almond and Lime together!)
  • I'm a heavy glazer. Its a problem. But most of my glaze ended up under the rack.. 
  • I don't have a zzzzzester at the moment due to a fatal dishwasher accident, scraping the limes with the points of a cheap serrated steak knife works fabulous!
  • Yields 36 small cookies... or I ended up with 36... counting casualties and dough loss I would say close to 42-45 cookies :D I like cookie dough :D

No comments:

Post a Comment