Pages


August 18, 2011

Kinda-Caribbean-Shrimp Lettuce Not-So-Wraps

GREAT FORTUNE THIS MORNING!

Do you ever look around your kitchen and get inspired by just whatcha got! Or realize you have everything for a favorite recipe without trying?! I LOVE homemade BBQ of any kind. My mother used to make BBQ chicken and Thighs in an electric skillet growing up and its still a huge favorite of mine. The range of GOOD BBQ in the culinary world is crazy wide from Sweet-celery seed-saturated KC BBQ to Spicy-smokey- Texas Pit. All ranges of fruity, sugary, smoky, vinegary, salty, spicy etc.

At the store today fresh shrimp were on super-duper sale! (Scary buying sea food in middle of the Mid-West but you have to take chances for good food) I had half of a REALLY GOOD pineapple at home and a ton of great peaches. FRUITY BBQ SHIRMP ON.... ON... on... ummm.... Sandwich? On a stick? Just on a fork out of the pan?..( it has happened before). How about the romaine hearts I have!?! Ohhhh with red peppers.. maybe some kinda cool, thick dressing ** This is what I sound like inside my head, or if the dog is on the floor sometimes out-loud to him**

I shelled and tailed (those might be technical terms.. they might be mine... not sure) 15 medium sized shrimp and set them aside. I like to do any meat prep before anything gets going then clean and set it aside so I'm not having to wash my hands and board all the time. 

Next I smashed and diced two BIG cloves of garlic, Sliced a small red onion, half a ripe peach, and an inch thick round of pineapple (core and skin removed). I like my fruit in big chucks. This all goes into a skillet with 1/2 a tbsp of EVOO. Cook on Med-High until it gets brown and starts to fall apart.

Then to make it saucy! I always have canned tomato products in the pantry (paste, sauce, diced, stewed) but today to my amazement I was clean out... Didn't even have ketchup! So I put a handful (1/2 cup)of cherry tomatoes in my mini-chopper and made my own puree. Add some light brown sugar, balsamic, apple cider vinegar, yellow mustard, and a squeeze of half a lime.


While your shrimp cook let's make up a thick creamy FAT FREE sauce. I love Fage yogurt but in this mayo could work to. (I'm anti-mayo by personal opinion). A 1/3 of a cup of fage in a bowl with a sprinkle of Cayenne pepper, Thyme, and Garlic Salt makes a wonderful tasty thick spread.


I picked the biggest, blemish free leaves off of my head of romaine and they weren't that big... so instead of wraps they will be not-so-wraps. I topped the leaves with thin sliced red bell peppers and our thick and creamy thyme spread. There is enough shrimp to top 4 leaves really heavy.

When your shrimp are cooked through and the sauce as thick or saucy as you like it, add your shrimp to your leaves and dig right in! I dug in so quick I forgot to take a finished picture til after my side of roasted cauliflower was done.

Kinda-Caribbean-Shrimp Lettuce Not-So-Wraps   350 calories for ENTIRE recipe. NOM NOM NOM
Filling 

15 medium sized shrimp
1 inch round fresh pineapple
half a peach
Small red onion
2 cloves of garlic
1 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 cup cherry tomatos (before blending) blended
about a tbsp of Balsamic, Apple cider vinegar, yellow or honey mustard, and lime juice.
Spread
1/3 cup Fage greek yogurt, Cayenne pepper, thyme, and garlic salt.
Lettuce leaves and sliced red bell peppers.

No comments:

Post a Comment